Thursday, December 31, 2009
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
1 large onion, chopped finely
3 large garlic cloves, finely sliced
3 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. zhoug
6 lbs. chicken breast without skin, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 c seedless raisins or black currants
- In a large pan, add the butter, onions, and garlic and saute on medium -high heat until they are slightly browned.Bring down the heat a little.Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, and zhoug and continue sauteing.
- Add the chicken pieces and saute until it is cooked (15-20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add the raisins or black currants and mix to combine.
- Serve warm with basmati rice.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
1 lb. eggplant, split in half
1c tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. zhoug
- Preheat oven to 400F .Brush eggplant slices with a little bit of olive oil and bake until soft, about 35 minutes.Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, remove purple skin from eggplant and dice into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggplants and tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
1.Rinse the swiss chard under cold water and add them to salted water pot and cook until tender, maybe 20 minutes.
2.In the meantime, in a small bowl add the garlic, tahina, olive oil, and lemon juice and combine.It should have a salad dressing-like consistency.If not, add a little bit of water to thin it out.
3.Once swiss chard is cooked,remove from water and drain and put in a serving bow.Add the tahina dressing and mix thoroughly.Garnish with the fresh mint and serve immediately.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Here's a simple salad that is perfect for mezze or you can add additional vegetables and make a complete meal.
1.Place arugula , frisee(if using), radicchio (if using)and onions in a serving bowl and mix to combine.
2.Combine all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or in a clean glass jar with a tight fitting lid and mix together and /or shake vigorously.
3.Drizzle dressing on salad just before serving.Serve immediately.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Photo courtesy of http://homemade-recipes.blogspot.com
Tahina aka tahini is an oily, nutty sesame-flavored paste. It's color ranges from a light, pale beige to a dark beige with a texture ranging from smooth to slightly course with light/smooth being the most superior.Tahina is an essential flavoring in Middle Eastern cuisine as well as those of Israel and the Meditteranean.Tahina is used in a wide range of Middle Eastern dishes from dips, sauces for fish, dressings to vegetables and desserts.One of the most well known dishes to use tahina is the mezze dish hummus bi tahina.Below is a simple Arab recipe using this Middle Eastern flavoring.
2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 c lemon juice
2 lbs. cod fillets or other firm, white fish
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 c tahini
1/3 c pine nuts
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
lemon wedges , for garnish
1.Preheat oven at 350F. Grease oven proof dish with olive oil.
2.In a bowl, combine salt, pepper,cumin, and lemon juice and mix to combine.Coat cod fillets with mixture and set in baking dish.
3.Sprinkle top of fish with onion,red pepper flakes, and pine nuts.Drizzle with tahini and garnish with parsley.
4.Bake for 45 minutes.Serve with basmati rice.
Monday, December 7, 2009
1.Put the hibiscus in a pan with the water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
2.Strain infusion into a serving pither and chill in refrigerator.Discard hibiscus petals.
3.Serve chilled with sugar on the side.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
- Rinse rose petals gently then drain.
- Fill a saucepan with water and add the rose petals and bring to a boil.Remove rose petals from pan and set aside.
- Add the sugar to the saucepan and bring to a boil all the while stirring it.
- After boiling , reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and the rose petals and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and let the preserve cool then spoon it into a glass jar.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
- Cook the rice, pasta, lentils , and chickpeas according to instructions on package. Set aside individually.
- For the salsa, add the chopped onions to the hot oil and saute until golden, stirring frequently. Add the vinegar and continue cooking for another minute. Add the tomatoe puree, cumin, salt, and black pepper.Cook until the tomatoe sauce thickens.Then set aside and keep warm.
- For the caramelized onions.Heat the oil on a pan and add the onions and saute , stirring frequently until golden brown and crispy.Set aside on a paper towel to drain.Keep warm.
- For the garlic and vinegar sauce, add vinegar, water, lemon juice,and cumin to garlic and mix well.Set aside.
- For the hot sauce, mix garlic with salt, set aside.Heat vegetable oil and add chili flakes and stir.Add chili pepper and garlic mixture and stir till well combined.Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large dish, layer the rice, pasta,lentils, chickpeas, salsa, and caramelized onions on top of eachother.Serve with the garlic/vinegar and hot sauce on the side.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Clean and wash chicken and rub allover with salt.
- In a skillet, add the olive oil , then add the onions and garlic and stir till transluscent.Add rice, advieh,salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth or water and simmer for 20 minutes.Add pistachios and raisins and remove from heat.
- Stuff chicken with advieh stuffing.Place in an oven-proof dish.Add chicken stock or water and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours , basting occasionally.
- Serve hot with steamed vegetables of your choice.
Monday, November 16, 2009
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
- Combine chicken, onions,cinnamon sticks,cardamom, salt, pepper, and bay leaves with 9 cups water in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover the pot and keep cooking for another 40 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat.Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set it aside until cool enough to handle.
- Strain soup into another pot using a mesh strainer.Discard spices and onion mixture.
- Once chicken has cooled, gently tear into shreds and add to soup pot along with the leftover rice.
- Keep cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Season with more salt, if desired and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine salt, cumin, pepper flakes in a small bowl and mix. Rub allover fish.
- Oil a baking dish.Arrange chopped onions on baking dish.Lay the fish on top of onions.Spread garlic on top.Add loomi.Scatter tomatoes on top of fish.
- Mix pomegranate syrup with 1/2 c water and pour this over fish.Garnish with cilantro.
- Bake for 55 minutes.Serve with Basmati rice.
Saturday, November 7, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.Add the onions and stir for about 5 minutes.Add the garlic, cardamom,Baharat,cilantro, salt, and pepper.Keep stirring for another 8 minutes.
- Add shrimp and continue stirring untill all the shrimp turn pink, 8-10 minutes.Remove from heat.
- Serve with basmati rice and Arab flatbread.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
- Put all ingredients into a large saucepan, set over medium heat, and warm, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and refrigerate till very cold (takes maybe about an hour).
- Transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
- Bring the water to a boil.Meanwhile, wash and peel the carrots and cut them into disks.
- Add ground spices to water.
- When water is boiling ,add salt, then carrots.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain then serve immediately.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
- Combine the yogurt with the water and salt in a blender.Blend.
- Pour ayran into tall serving glasses and garnish with mint leaves.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Looking for an alternative to Arabic coffee?Ahwah Baida is one of the choices on offer at many of Beirut's cafes.Ahwah Baida also known as cafe blanc but it is not to be confused to be confused with cafe au lait.In fact,ahwah baida is not coffee at all but a cup of hot water lightly scented with orange-blossom water.This coffee is said to aid in digestion and promote a good nights sleep which is why it is such a popular choice after a late night dinner.
1 tsp.orange-blossom water
sugar, to taste
1.Bring the water to a boil.Add the orange-blossom water.
2.Serve ahwah baida in demitasse cups with sugar on the side.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree.
- Shape puree into equal size patties.
- If using dehydrator, dehydrate patties for 8 hours until crispy.If using oven method, heat patties at the lowest setting on your oven for 3 hours, turning patties over every hour until crispy.
- Serve wth pita bread drizzled with tahina dressing.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
- Heat half the oil in a pan then add the onions, garlic, and cumin.Saute until brown.
- Stir in the tomatoe puree,half the salt,pepper,and water and cook until most of the water has evaporated and the mixture has thickened.
- Place fish in a greased ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt and tomato/cumin sauce over fish.
- Arrange the tomatoe slices over the top of the fish and sprinkle with remaining oil.
- Cover fish with foil and bake at 350F for 20 minutes.Check liquid if too dry add a little more.
- Remove foil cover and cook for 20 minutes more.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
- Halve and seed the watermelon and cut the flesh into small cubes, reserving the juice.
- Crush the watermelon pieces with back of a fork or process in a food processor with the reserved juice in batches till it turns into a granita-like consistency.
- Put in a bowl and then stir in the rosewater and sugar
- Chill in the refrigerator and serve ice-cold garnished with rose petals.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a pan and stir in onions and cook until transluscent.
- Add chicken and sumac.Cook for a few minutes to sear the chicken, then reduce the heat and stir in the spices and lime juice.Cook for about 10 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Arrange chicken evenly on top of pita bread.Sprinkle with pine nuts, if using . Put pita on top of baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.Can be accompanied with strained yougurt spooned on top.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
1 medium sized watermelon, cubed seeds removed
2 Tbsp. rosewater
1-2 tsp. sugar
rose petals, for garnish
1. Put the watermelon pieces in a medium ceramic bowl and crush it lightly with a fork till it has a granita-like consistency.
2. Add the rosewater and sugar and mix and then continue crushing till sugar and rosewater are evenly distributed throughout.
3.Put watermelon mixture in freezer and freeze for few(3-4)hours.Every half hour with fork break up ice crystals to create granita-like consistency.
4.When ready to serve,garnish with rose petals.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
1.Boil the water.When water is boiling add the saffron.Turn heat off.Allow to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
2.Pour tea into small glasses and serve with lump of sugar.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Yeild: 1 1/2 c
4 Tbsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. coriander seeds
2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. ground cloves
3 Tbsp.ground cumin
1 tsp. cardamon
4 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 tsp. paprika
- Combine thoroughly all ingredients in a bowl and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Will keep for 6 months.
- Preheat oven 350F.Oil a baking dish with the olive oil.Rinse fish and pat dry. Place on baking dish and sprinkle with salt.
- Add remaining ingredients one by one in order. Cover and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve hot with rice.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
1/2 medium cantaloupe, peeled & cut into 1/2"cubes
2 large oranges, peeled & sectioned;sections cut in half
2 bananas, sliced diagaonally
1/2 grapefruit, peeled & cut into 1/2"cubes
seeds from 1/2 pomegranate
1 c fresh or dried pitted dates, chopped (optional)
1 c fresh or dried figs, chopped in half (optional)
juice of 1 lime
2 oz. rose water essence
6 Tbsp. unsalted pistacios, to garnish
- Put all the peices of fruit into a large bowl.In anaother bowl, mix together the lime juice and rosewater together.Pour limejuice and rosewater mixture over fruits and turn gently until well combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until ready to serve.Garnish on top with pistacios.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir together to blend.
- Store the spice blend in an airtight container, in a cool dark place.Will keep for 6 months.
Monday, June 15, 2009
- Combine all ingredients in a spice or coffee grinderand grind until well combined and powderlike.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Will keep for 1 year.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
- Drain chickpeas, rinse,and transfer to a large pot. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat.Reduce to low and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, or until the chickpeas are soft.When they are ready, remove from heat, drain, and set aside.If using canned , rinse under cold running water to remove salt and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, place the olive oil, salt, pepper,garlic, basil, oregano, parsley,and thyme and blend until smooth.
- Pour the olive oil paste over the warm chickpeas and mix well and set aside.If using the canned chickpeas, heat in the microwave for 2 minutes , then add paste.
- Preheat oven 350F.Oil a baking dish.Place the fish fillet in it and season both sides with salt and pepper and place the bell pepper on top, then scatter the sliced garlic cloves throughout.Add zaatar.Add 3 oz water to baking dish to retain moisture.
- Place fish fillets in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice
Sunday, June 7, 2009
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.Saute the onion and meat for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.Add the parsley and cinnamon.
- Pour in the water. Add tomatoe paste and salt.Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.Add the barley or chickpeas, if using.Lower the heat and cook for another 45 minutes, or until the barley is tender.Add lemon juice and serve.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
- In a blender or food processor,puree the chillies.Add the garlic , cardamom and puree again.Add the remaining ingredients.Blend well.
- Put the zhug in a glass jar and keep it in the refrigerator until rready to use.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
- Soak the bulgur in water for about 30 minutes until soft & chewy.Drain and squeeze out any excess moisture.Put in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the tomatoes, onion, mint, parsley thoroughly.
- Pour in the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.Mix.Adjust seasonings if necessary.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Bessara is a popular fava bean soup from Morocco delicately flavored with cumin and usually finished of with Argan oil. It is a fairly easy soup to put together as it uses some basic ingredients.Though there may be some very slight variations in its ingredients from other recipes because some cooks may substitute it with whatever is on hand like dried green peas for the fava beans and extra-virgin olive oil for the argan oil.Argan oil is made from the nuts of the argan tree which is indigenous to Morocco.This oil is not easy to find here in markets but if by chance you see it , it is a worthwhile investment as it gives the soup a more complex, nutty flavor.
4 1/2 c water
9 oz dried fava beans or green peas,soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4-1/2 crumbled dried red chili (optional)
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or argan oil
sea salt and black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add the beans, garlic, and salt.Reduce the heat and simmer till the beans are soft, maybe 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend with the remaining ingredients.Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve with a drizzle of oil.
Friday, May 29, 2009
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a baking dish and place chicken breasts in it.
- Combine tomatoes,bell pepper,onion, and garlic in a mixing bowl and mix to combine.Spread mixture on top and all around chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and cardamom throughout. And add the water to baking dish to keep chicken moist.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- For the rice pilaf, in a medium saucepan, combine the water with the spices and bay leaf.Bring to a boil;add the rice.Reduce heat;simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking,coat a nonstick pan with the butter and saute mushrooms until soft and fragrant.Remove from heat and set aside.When rice is ready, stir into rice mixture.