I was told this recipe comes from Egypt. It is simple, easy to prepare , and doesn't require any special ingredients as you probably have all the necessary ingredients on hand. Samak Kamounieh is traditionally served with plain basmati rice and vegetables as a side dish.
4Tbsp. olive oil
3 onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/4 c water
2 lb. cod or other firm white fish fillets
3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat half the oil in a pan then add the onions, garlic, and cumin.Saute until brown.
- Stir in the tomatoe puree,half the salt,pepper,and water and cook until most of the water has evaporated and the mixture has thickened.
- Place fish in a greased ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt and tomato/cumin sauce over fish.
- Arrange the tomatoe slices over the top of the fish and sprinkle with remaining oil.
- Cover fish with foil and bake at 350F for 20 minutes.Check liquid if too dry add a little more.
- Remove foil cover and cook for 20 minutes more.