This is the dish that I turn to when its almost approaching dinner time and I can't really make up my mind on what to eat.Luckily, I always have these ingredients on hand , so it just takes me 15 minutes to throw all these things together and its ready within the hour.This is one of my favorite dishes because its so easy to put together so I end up having it 1-2 times a week.
4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts
1Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped(can subs. with red)
1/2 brown onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1/2 Tbsp. cardamom
3 oz. cold water
2 c water
1/8 tbsp. of the following spices:ground cloves,ground cinammon
1 bay leaf
1 c uncooked brown rice
1c white mushrooms, sliced
knob of butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a baking dish and place chicken breasts in it.
- Combine tomatoes,bell pepper,onion, and garlic in a mixing bowl and mix to combine.Spread mixture on top and all around chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and cardamom throughout. And add the water to baking dish to keep chicken moist.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- For the rice pilaf, in a medium saucepan, combine the water with the spices and bay leaf.Bring to a boil;add the rice.Reduce heat;simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking,coat a nonstick pan with the butter and saute mushrooms until soft and fragrant.Remove from heat and set aside.When rice is ready, stir into rice mixture.